And this is not simply for the sake of argument, or because Im an advocate of free speach. But because the issue itself is something I agree with, and speaks to my heart.
I mean just how ridiculous is that. That we have signboards in singapore. Which have three out of 4 of our national languages. and a fourth language, Japanese. Does anyone else see this as a huge joke. Im driving down the ECP, I see a bigass brown sign, for tourist attractions like the Changi Chapel and Museum. There it is. In English. Chinese. Malay. Japanese. Ahhh. Right. Of course. That about effectively covers every major language speaking group in Singapore. I mean. Fair enough you might get more Japanese tourists visiting the chapel than Tamil-speakers. But really. Am i missing something out?? Cause your still putting Chinese and Malay. And so I REALLY want to know... is there ANY basis for believing that you'll get more malay or chinese speaking visitors than tamil-speakers? REALLY??
but its not that, that got me mad. Its the fact that the rally about it, (just a fucking talk, a chance for discourse and discussion, a time to share and understand and hear more viewpoints) was cancelled! on what grounds?? I really dont know. Didnt read yesterdays paper. But it had somethign to do with race.
And just how racists is that.
That they believe only Indians care about this gross inconsistency in the treatment of tamil.
That this is going to build up racial hostility??
Maybe, just maybe, other races too care about such matters.
Dont underestimate chinese, eurasians and malays.
Maybe they too care about our lack of consideration for one of our four official languages.
Maybe they too wonder and wish to discuss the fact that tamil is only an official language
as a fucking token gesture.
So just why is this a matter of race? How is this going to build up racial hostility??
I mean, hey hey hey. after all. its only the speakers corner. Its just people coming together to talk about an issue.
Unless you really feel that the reasons to feel suppressed are genuine. That there is reason to be concerned, that the Tamils of Singapore may find a case strong enough to rally together against the government. So is that it then? Do you agree that there IS reason to be concerned??
Cause thats the whole point of free speach. You have nothing to hide or fear, let it be discussed. And if there is something valid, then let it be addressed.
Sickening.
And then what made me really sad (after being mad) was reading this article today.

I was sad cause it came from an indian. That he agreed that the speech should not have taken place. Of course I dont expect all Indians to agree with the need for free speach. But the fact that this was the article that the straits times chose to publish just dissapointed me.
I expected more from Singapore.
I expected too much.
How did this happen?
And I spend so little of my time outside camp. But when I do come out this is what I read.
People praising the police for banning a perfectly reasonable talk on the Tamil language in singapore.
The police justifying why the WP may not organise cycling events but the PAP may.
So called reform about laws on political films, allowing 6 filsm, but with certain filsm suchs as "Singapore Rebel" being starkly missing.
I mean dammit. Its no reason why people enjoy being apathetic. It means not having to deal with all this bullshit, and just ignoring it... But its my city too, and I intend to make a difference.
I dont want this to always be about bread and butter. I need some basic rights and freedoms to be upheld as well.
....
and now to restore your faith in the world, a lovely little video I chanced upon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BxymuiAxQ
. I do love this world. Just cant believe things take this long to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment