Wednesday, May 27, 2009

the hindu times "I take leave I got flare!"

Im surprised to find myself so fascinated by sarees.
but they were oh so pretty.
gorgeous. that was the word. and to touch touch. ah. 
makes me an instant fan.





And while im on the topic of India (is it racist to associate sarees with India? or is that just race-related?) Im gonna talk about supporting a team for the IPL.

season two has just ended, so here is a good question. 
Which team does one support? 
Unlike EPl and soccer, the IPL has only just started. There are no clear favourites. There is no history or tradition which any one team has more so than any other. You could arguably support a team based on merit. Or based on style of play. But in twenty twenty, i honestly cant really see any distinct styles existing. Its all more or less about the same thing. hitting big runs and taking wickets. So at the end of the day I suppose picking a team comes down to several random factors.

The players. the City. The colour of the jersey. 

While the teams as entities lack any history or character, most of the players are already national stars in ODI, T20 and Test. Unfortunately for me, most of my favourite international players ended up being scattered across different teams. 
Murali playing in Chennai, RP Singh in Hyderabad, Malinga in Mumbai, Vettori in Delhi and Ishant Sharma in Kolkata. 
So I suppose players arnt that important then. No matter which team you eventually support you find a need to support its players and they grow on you.

when it comes to city I suppose things become much clearer. Let heritage and ancestry guide the way. Completely random its almost fair and natural. I dont usually advocate such tribalistic patriotism, but in this one instance, im willing to make an exception. So that brings me down to the three south indian cities/teams in the league. 
Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai. Ahh.. At least now we are getting somewhere. narrowing our options. To make things even clearer I decided to eliminate Bangalore, what, me having no blood whatsoever coming from that direction.
So it was down to the Chennai SuperKings and the Deccan Chargers.

In season 1, SuperKings performed incredibly well. With stars like Murali, and Dhoni, they easily made it to the finals, only to lose to Rajasthan. The Chargers on the other hand finished last. Winning only 2 games in the entire league. 

In a way this made the difference between the two teams more striking. A high flyer vs a barrel scraper. My choice of who to support was no longer a matter of whim. It was a test of character and personality. How would I choose!? And So it was down to colour.

In season 1 both chennai and hyderabad sported disgusting yellow and beige jerseys which was very dissapointing for me, as i hate yellow. But then came news that the chargers were going for a makeover. new jersey, new logo, new captain, new coach. In a way this spirit added just that much more character to them. I was starting to lean towards them. 
The new jersey colour was dark blue. I was sold. Mid season, right before the semi finalists had qualified, The Deccan Chargers became my pick for the season. 



Bottom of the table in Season 1, Champions in Season 2.
Everyone loves a good underdog story. 

--
and so to round up a night of indian fun
AR Rahman's 'Jai Ho'

YES the original version! No Pussycat dolls! =)

Not that i dont like their version.. It just ticks me off that people can like them so much.
haha. No its not jealousy. Kay maybe it is. Ah fuck it. This version is nicer because i say so.

And with that, Im off!

No comments: