This is an essay dated 20th November 2007.
What Im ashamed to admit, is I dont really remember my own references to Jung and Schopenhaer anymore. I think its something to do with freedom and personal choice. heh. this is what 2 years in NS does to you..
Anyway..
Enjoy!
Punk is such a sad torrid farce, its not even funny anymore.
Now dont get me wrong. I still love jimmy eat world, something corporate and dashboard confessional. Helena by MCR, oh most definitely. I see no shame in listening to emo, indie, goth, rock, but I will punch you if you dare try and fit me into a typecast. I will intentionally wear what you dont wear to avoid looking like everyone else, and I will
So just what then do I make of everything I had said before this? Well.. I suppose nothing. Or maybe everything. Because thats the whole point isnt it?
All this culture and counter-culture, this action and reaction, is simply going to go on forever. There are forces beyond our control and im not talking about divine intervention. To borrow on a metaphor from both Jung and Schopenhaer, all of us are water molecules riding these waves and movements we know nothing about. Well not nothing, obviously. But thats another fine line. Of course right now, what im talking about is fashion.
No one would dare says they are independent of fashion trends unless they are seriously deluded. But neither do I believe we are slaves. Nor are these fashions the result of animals spirits. There is no doubt they are our own making. But how can something of our own creation take on a life of its own. Its beyond dynamic, its animated and emergent.
It would be most dishonest of me to tell you where the line is from the personal choice and the societal choice, and just how personal that choice may have been in the first place. And i dont know myself. But I do know I am getting tired. So Ill say simply this.
Ill buy my fossil watch today, and wear my sleeveless OBS tee tomorrow. Ill spike my hair and I wont. Ill just learn to appreciate as much as possible, and take in all I can. Because there is no one to differentiate between decent and prunish, sexy and slutty. No one is to tell me whats mainstream and whats a sell-out. Because it doesnt really matter. Except it most definitely does. And we are all victims of the machine and system. Perhaps context is all, after all. Perhaps. Or is that just my way of coping out and not really answering the question?
It most certainly is.
Good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment